Important: Before you reorganize your DMSII database, read this section and make sure that you have preserved the previous DESCRIPTION file and DMSUPPORT library. DATABridge needs the previous layout information (in the old DESCRIPTION file) to correctly process the audit trail files created before the reorganization. If you use DATABridge Span, it is recommended that you keep backup copies of the Span Accessory parameter files for recovery purposes.
Decisions on how to manage rollbacks for sites using the Server Accessory and the DATABridge Client is up to the client database administrator. However, it usually involves periodic backups of the data and client control tables. In the case of a rollback, restore from a time before the rollback point and process forward. Alternatively, the tables could be recloned.
When you plan to reorganize your DMSII database for a record format conversion or for a file format conversion, use the following instructions.
To prepare for a DMSII reorganization
- Make copies of the DESCRIPTION file and DMSUPPORT library that include the current update level of the database in the file titles. The easiest way to do this is by running WFL/DATABRIDGE/BACKUPTAILORED. For instructions, see Save with Update Level (WFL). This WFL adds the current update level to the last node of the filename, as in the following example:
- Make the changes necessary to the DASDL, and then compile the new DASDL. Use the method you normally use at your site.
When the DASDL is finished compiling, a message appears stating that a database reorganization is required. For example, if the database is BANKDB and the update level is 51, the DASDL compile creates the file DESCRIPTION/BANKDB with update level 52. (DMSUPPORT/BANKDB with update level 52 is also created if the DASDL was set to compile DMSUPPORT automatically.)
- Compile DMSUPPORT if it was not set to compile automatically when you compiled the DASDL. The DMSUPPORT compile creates the file DMSUPPORT/BANKDB with the next update level (52 in our example). To back up the new DESCRIPTION/BANKDB andDMSUPOPORT/BANKDB files with “52” as the last node of the filename, run WFL/DATABRIDGE/BACKUPTAILORED, as follows:
Start WFL/DATABRIDGE/BACKUPTAILORED (“BANKDB”)
- Compile and run the DMSII reorganization program, using the method you typically use at your site.
Note: The different DMSII reorganization options are transparent to DATABridge. In other words, you can do an online or offline reorganization with or without RESTART and EXCLUSIVE options.
The reorganization closes the current audit file and opens a new one. In addition, the reorganization copies the old DESCRIPTION and DMSUPPORT files before it adds the new DMSUPPORT library.
- Skip the remaining steps if you don't use Span Accessory. If you use the Server Accessory and a DATABridge Client program, review the information in step 6 and then see “Reorganizations, Filler Substitutions, and Initializations” in Chapter 4 of the DATABridge Client Administrator’s Guide.
- Update your GenFormat parameters and your custom VIRTUAL and/or ALTER data set code as needed.
Note: Filler substitutions are ignored when using a non-tailored supported library. Therefore, you will have no opportunity to alter the relational database to handle the new record layout.
- Run the Span Accessory. When Span Accessory detects the reorganization, it will stop and display the following error message:
DATABridge Engine: >>>  Table reorganization required for datasetname; DMS dataset level = updatelevel, Table level = clienttablelevel <<<
If the DESCRIPTION/databasename file has a different update level than the audit file, the Engine automatically tries to read the following file:
Similarly, if the DMSUPPORT library has a different level than the audit file, the Engine automatically tries to read the following:
Important: If these files are not present, copy them from the backup copies you made in step 1.
Continuing with the previous example, when you run the Span Accessory, it might try to process an audit file with update level 51. If so, DATABridge automatically tries to read DESCRIPTION/BANKDB/51 OR 51/DESCRIPTION/BANKDB and tries to link to DMSUPPORT/BANKDB/51 or 51/DMSUPPORT/BANKDB to determine how to process that audit file. When DATABridge finishes processing audit files with update level 51, it searches for a DESCRIPTION file and DMSUPPORT file with update level 52.
- Complete the downstream processing of the current Span Accessory output files. In other words, transfer the Span Accessory output files to the client system, or process them as you usually do.
If you do not process these output files, the following occurs the next time you run the Span Accessory:
- If the record sizes are not equal, the old output file names will be appended with the /OLDATTS node.
- If the record sizes are equal, the data is appended to the old output file.
- Change the client system so that the client system is prepared to process files corresponding to the new format for the reorganized data sets. This is dependent on the client setup at your site.
- Get the Span Accessory parameter file and look for data sets that have a mode of 3. These are the data sets that were reorganized. For each data set that has a mode of 3, do the following:
- Change the mode from 3 (indicating reorganization) to 2 (indicating “ready to update”).
- Change the client format level to match the DMSII format level.
- Run the Span Accessory as usual.
The reorganized records will appear in the Span Accessory output files.
- Make backup copies of the DESCRIPTION and DMSUPPORT files to prepare for the next record format or file format database reorganization.