Upgrading Host Integrator in a Linux /UNIX Environment
This section provides information and instructions on how to upgrade your settings and files to Verastream Host Integrator 6.6 in a Linux/UNIX environment.
See also the general upgrade notes. For a list of new features, see What's New in Version 6.6.
Note: These instructions cover the upgrade from version 6.5 to 6.6. To upgrade from previous versions, see the upgrade instructions on the Attachmate Technical Support Web site.
To upgrade in a Linux/UNIX environment,follow these steps:
- Back up the existing files.
- Remove the existing installation.
- Install all Host Integrator components except the Session Server
- Migrate the AADS settings.
- Install the Host Integrator Server
- Migrate the Administrative WebStation
- Migrate the deployment directory.
- Start all components and verify the upgrade.
The procedure below assumes the following:
- All Host Integrator components are installed on the same Linux/UNIX machine.
- The Authentication, Administration, and Directory Services (AADS) are not linked to any other Host Integrator servers.
- You can migrate your models first and upgrade them in the Design Tool at a later time.
- Although you can install the Host Integrator files to a directory of your choice, the steps assume an install directory of usr/vhi.
Back up the existing files from the previous installation
- Log in as root on your Linux/UNIX machine.
- Copy the usr/vhi/etc directory to a temporary directory. (In this example, the temporary directory is /tmp/vhi.)
cp -r /usr/vhi/etc/tmp/vhi
- To upgrade an Administrative WebStation:
- Open usr/vhi/lib/java and locate the console.install file. Copy it to /tmp/vhi. This file is present only if the Administrative WebStation was running locally in a browser on the machine where the Host Integrator server was installed.
- If the console.install file does not exist, move to step 4.
- Copy the deploy directory, /usr/vhi/deploy, to a location outside of the existing Host Integrator installation directory:
cp -r /usr/vhi/deploy/tmp/vhi
- Before you uninstall the existing Host Integrator components, make a note of the current settings:
- On the Linux/UNIX machine: The location of the existing Host Integrator installation
- In the Administrative WebStation: Host Integrator domain server settings and LDAP settings.
Note:You cannot migrate LDAP settings; you must restore them after the upgrade.
- Security: enabled/disabled
Remove the existing installation
Run the Verastream Host Integrator 6.6 setup to uninstall Host Integrator. When prompted, choose Yes to remove the existing Verastream Host Integrator Installation.
sh install.sh -clean
Install Host Integrator 6.6 Components except the Session Server
In a Linux/UNIX, environment, you must install the AADS and migrate the AADS settings before you install the Host Integrator server.
- Install version 6.6 into the same directory where the previous version was installed. This example assumes usr/vhi.
- Use the command below to install all components except the server.
sh install.sh -installdir /usr/vhi-components
aads AADS server
apicpp AppConn Connector for C
apijava AppConn Connector for Java
help Product Help
hostemul Host Emulator
logutils Log Viewer and Export Utility
smonitor Session Monitor
webstation Administrative WebStation
- Accept the defaults and proceed with the installation. When prompted, do not start the AADS.
- When Setup is complete, confirm that all of the components are stopped:
/<installdir>/bin/atstart/ -stop all
Migrate the AADS Settings
- To preserve the AADS configuration, copy the saved files that you created above into the new installation directory.
Note: Some of these files may not exist in your installation.
Install the Host Integrator Server
Start AADS before starting the server:
/usr/vhi/bin/atstart -start aads
/usr/vhi/bin/atstart -start all
Use this command to install the Verastream Host Integrator 6.6 server:
sh install.sh –installdir/usr/vhi –components server
- Do not start the server when prompted. If the server starts before the model
files are migrated, errors will be logged.
- Restore the session server configuration file:
cp /tmp/vhi/etc/sesssrvr.config /usr/vhi/etc
- If you did not install an Administrative WebStation, skip to Migrate
the deployment directory.
Migrate the Administrative WebStation
- Restore the Administrative WebStation configuration file:
cp /tmp/vhi/console.install /usr/vhi/lib/java/console.install
- Start the Administrative WebStation:
/usr/vhi/bin/atstart -start webstation
Migrate the deployment directory
Restore the deployment directory:
cp -r /tmp/vhi/deploy/usr/vhi
Start all components
- Use this command to start all components, including the Host Integrator
/usr/vhi/bin/atstart -start all
- At this point, the Host Integrator Server recognizes the original model file/directory structure and upgrade the models in the 6.6 deploy directory.
- Open the Administrative WebStation to confirm that your models are activated
and confirm or restore the settings that you noted
early in this process:
- Host Integrator domain server settings
- LDAP authentication settings
- Security: Enabled or Disabled
Note: If you did not install an Administrative WebStation on the Linux/UNIX machine, you can use an Administrative WebStation on a different machine and point to the Linux/UNIX server.
The Session Monitor creates a default security certificate when connecting. This certificate may still be present after uninstalling the previous version of Host Integrator and reinstalling the new version. After the upgrade, the Session Monitor will attempt to use
a certificate that is now out of date. When attempting to connect, you'll see messages such as "SSL connection failed. Certificates don't match." To correct this problem, select Remove Directory Server from the Configure menu. You can ignore additional error messages while doing this operation. Next, select Add Directory Server to add it again with an appropriate security certificate.