On the File menu, click Export to open the Export dialog box. The XML model
file export and import
feature enables you to programmatically manipulate a model file outside the
context of the Design Tool. Once the model file is exported as an XML file,
modifications such as global and repetitive changes can be made to this file.
This features also enables you to generate entire models based on an existing
external description of the host application. Once changes are made, the XML
file can be imported back into the Design Tool and opened as a .model file.
Use the following options to generate XML- or HTML-based documentation about
your custom model or one of the sample models
provided with the Design Tool:
- Model file in XML format
- Select the Complete check box to generate detailed documentation
about the current model in XML. This XML file includes the name and description
of every entity, pattern, attribute, operation, and recordset defined in the
model in addition to any configured system settings. It also includes a list
of all commands used in each operation. By default, the XML file will be saved
\<VHI install directory>\models\<model name>
folder. You can also click Browse to save the documentation in a different
- Make sure to apply your changes by clicking the Apply
button in the Entity window before exporting
- After the model file has been exported into an XML file, an object ID
number that is unique will also be included with each entity
- If you are updating XML documentation from a Host Integrator version 4.0 installation,
the XML formats that are exported may be slightly different. Please consult
Technical Support for more information.
- You can also use the Save As dialog box on the File menu to save your
model file as an XML file.
- When you export or import an XML file, the associated DTD file must be in the same location.
This file is copied to the correct location when you export or import the XML file using the Design Tool;
however, you must be sure to copy the DTD file along with the XML file in other circumstances.
Documentation in HTML format
- Choose from the following options to create either API-specific or complete
documentation in HTML:
- APISelect this check box to generate documentation geared
towards the developer who will be programming the web or client/server
application using one of the Host Integrator connectors. The API version
provides the information needed to extract the necessary data for creating
these applications. By default, this file will be saved in the
install directory>\models\<model name> folder. You can
also click Browse to save the documentation in a different location.
- CompleteSelect this check box to generate detailed documentation
about the current model in HTML. This HTML file includes all of the same
information described in the XML file above. By default, this file will
be saved in the
\<VHI install directory>\models\<model
name> folder. You can also click Browse to save the documentation
in a different location.
© 1999-2007 Attachmate Corporation. All rights reserved.