Create an Administrative Installation Point
To prepare your environment for deployment, create an administrative installation point. This is an installation option which installs all of the files required to install Reflection X Advantage as well as the administrative tools used for customization. This installation is different from simply copying the package files to a network location in the following ways:
- Any files that are compressed in the original package are uncompressed in the administrative installation point.
- When a service pack is released, you can update your administrative installation directly by applying the patch to it.
Note: We recommend that you create an administrative installation point on your administrative workstation before installing Reflection X Advantage. After you've created an administrative installation point, you can install Reflection X Advantage by running setup.exe from the administrative installation point. If you install Reflection X Advantage before you create the administrative installation, you'll need to create the administrative installation image using the command-line option described below.
To create an administrative installation point
- Create a network share on a network file server.
- Click the download link, and run the download program.
- Select a location for the installer files, and then click Next.
This extracts the files to the specified location and starts the Attachmate Installation Program. (If you have already downloaded the files, click the setup.exe file to start the installation program.)
- Click Continue and accept the license.
- From the Advanced tab, click Create an Administrative install image on a server.
Only selections on the Advanced and File Location tabs apply to this procedure. Selections made on other tabs are ignored. Administrative installations always include all files used by the package.
- Click Continue.
- Browse to the network share you want to use for the administrative installation image. For installations on a network share, specify the path to the network share as a UNC path (for example: \\share_name\administrative_install_point).
Administrative installation images are typically created in a file server folder. However, you can create administrative installation images in any folder on a local hard disk. This can be useful for testing purposes.
- Click Install Now.
To create an administrative installation from the command line
- Open a command window, running as an administrator.
- Use the following command syntax to start the installation:
<path_to_setup>\setup.exe /install /admin TARGETDIR=<UNC_path_to_administrative_installation_point>