Upgrading from Earlier Versions of Reflection X Advantage
If you are upgrading from an earlier version of Reflection X Advantage (or any product that includes Reflection X Advantage as a feature), note the following:
- You can run the new installer with an installed version in place. The earlier version is uninstalled as part of the installation process. Your existing settings are saved and used automatically after the upgrade.
- Changes made in version 5.0 make it easier to configure and start sessions. Prior to version 5.0, there were three definition types: server, session and client. Before you could start your client, you needed to start a session, which in turn started a server and optional clients. In version 5.0, server settings have been incorporated into the session settings, and starting a client automatically starts an associated session. If you haven't defined an associated session, you are prompted at client startup to choose one. Your existing settings are updated automatically to work correctly – just double-click your migrated X client or XDMCP definitions to get started. For more information, see New Features in Version 5.0.
- Your database files are migrated automatically to the current version the first time Reflection X Advantage is started.
- If you use the Remote Session Services feature to configure distributed sessions with the standalone X Manager, you must upgrade all components at the same time. This feature does not support mixed versions.
- If you distribute sessions using the Reflection Administrative WebStation, review the information in Managing Upgrades for WebStation Sessions.
Upgrading Reflection X Advantage Domains
If you are upgrading from version 4.1 or later, you can upgrade domain components in stages:
- Upgrade all systems running X Manager for Domains and the X Administrative Console before you upgrade the domain controller. These components are backward compatible, not forward compatible.
These components will be able to connect to your (older) domain controller and will run using the version that is running on that domain controller. This means that features or bug fixes in the newer version will not yet be available.
- Upgrade your domain controller and any configured domain nodes after all other computers in the domain have been upgraded.
After the domain controller is upgraded, all domain components will run using the newer version; at this time the latest features and bug fixes become available to the upgraded systems running X Manager for Domains and the X Administrative Console.
Note the following:
- If you are upgrading from version 4.0 or earlier, you must upgrade all components of the domain at the same time. These versions do not support mixed versions.
- If you run in FIPS mode, you need to upgrade the digital certificates used by the domain components.
What Reflection X Advantage version am I running?
For version information, go to Help > About X Manager. The information displayed always shows the currently installed version. If you are connected to an older domain controller, the display also shows the current running version. On Windows, Reflection X Advantage is installed as a feature in Reflection 2014 installers, and this information is also included.