Create a Trace
While troubleshooting a problem, Attachmate Technical Support may request that you obtain one or more traces of program actions. After receiving your trace file, Technical Support can replay the trace to replicate the problem.
To create a trace file
- Under X Clients or XDMCP Connections, select the client you want to troubleshoot. Note the name of the Default session used by this definition. You'll modify this session to create the trace.
- Under Session Definitions, select the session. On the Advanced tab, select Trace session.
- Start your client.
- The Trace Session dialog box opens and you can use it to specify an output filename and location.
If the session will run on the local machine, you see full path information. You can save the trace to the default location shown, or browse to select an alternate location.
If the session will run on a remote node, the trace file will be saved to that remote system and you see only a filename. (This occurs when Remote Session Services on the session definition's General tab is set to anything other than None.) When no path information is given, the trace file is saved to the Reflection X Advantage program location (typically C:\Program Files\Attachmate\Reflection on Windows and /opt/rxadvantage on UNIX). You can add path information relative to this location, or specify full path information. In either case, the path specified must be valid and accessible on the remote system.
- Click Trace session to continue your connection and start recording.
The trace is saved to the location you specified when the session stops.
- Return to Advanced tab for your session definition and clear the Trace session checkbox.
- Upload the trace file as a binary file to http://upload.attachmate.com. If the problem relates to a service request you are currently working on with a technician, include the Attachmate service request number with the trace and let the technician know when the file is uploaded.