Install Custom Templates with a Companion Installer Package
Templates are definition files that are installed to the Reflection X Advantage templates folder. Templates are imported for each user the first time the user runs X Manager or X Manager for Domains. Depending on how you create them, definition files may be imported silently or included in the Import Templates and Migrated Settings dialog box that displays on initial startup.
Note: If you run Reflection X Advantage in domain mode, you can create and share public settings definitions instead of (or in addition to) creating and deploying custom templates. Unlike deployed templates, public definitions can be created and modified after X Manager for Domains has already been installed on user workstations.
To create a custom template
- From X Manager or X Manager for Domains, click File > Export.
- Select the definitions you want to include in the template.
- Use the Template configuration options to configure how users will import this template.
- If you want to enable users to select the template from a list, enter a Template name. This name shows up in the list of available templates in the Import Templates and Migrated Settings dialog box that displays on initial startup. (This name is not displayed if Automatically import template on first run is selected.)
- To configure the template to be imported silently, select Automatically import template on first run.
- Click Export. Enter a filename and click Save to complete the export process.
You can use the Attachmate Customization Tool to create a companion file to install this template on Windows systems.
To create a companion package to install one or more custom templates
- Create an administrative installation image.
- From your administrative installation point, open the Attachmate Customization Tool from a shortcut or by typing the following command line:
- From the Select Customization dialog box, select Create a new Companion installer and then click OK.
- From the navigation pane, click Specify package information. Use this panel to specify the information your package will use in the Windows Programs and Features (or Add or Remove Programs) list.
- From the navigation pane, click Specify install locations. On this panel, select Installs to all users of a machine. (The installation locations available change based on this setting and you need to install this template to the program files folder.)
- From the navigation pane, click Add Files.
- Under Add files to at the bottom of the panel, specify the templates subfolder in your program installation location; for example [ProgramFilesFolder]\Reflection\templates. (You can manually edit the pre-configured item [ProgramFilesFolder]\My Files.)
- Click Add. Browse to locate your template file and click Open.
- Choose File > Save As and enter a name for your installation package (for example RXATemplates.msi).
- (Optional) Chain this installer to have it run automatically after installations done using setup.exe.