Connect via a Firewall
Use this procedure if your site connect to your FTP or SFTP server through a firewall.
To connect via a firewall
- Open the Connect to FTP Site dialog box.(This dialog box opens automatically when you launch the client. You can also open it using Connection > Connect.)
- Select the site you are configuring and click Security.
- On the Firewall tab, select Use Firewall.
- Use Style to select the authentication command sequence used by your firewall. (The style you select determines which options you can configure in the dialog box.)
- Configure the appropriate authentication information for your server, and then click OK to close each of the open dialog boxes.
- The Firewall tab is not available for SFTP connections.
- The settings in the Firewall tab of the Security Properties dialog box are used for all sites that you configure to connect via a firewall.
- When Use passive mode is enabled (the default), the FTP Client initiates a separate data connection for directory listings and file transfers. This is required for connections through some firewalls. If passive mode has been turned off and a directory listing does not display or you get an error "425 Can't open data connection," you should enable this setting.