Run the Migrate Program on Windows
If you're upgrading from 6.1 (or earlier) to 6.3, use this procedure after you install the Client. (See Installing Databridge on Windows.) The Migrate program creates a new Client working directory and files.
If you're upgrading from 6.2.x, running migrate and dbfixup are not required as no changes have been made to the Client files since 6.2. You can use your existing working directory and configuration files.
To run the Migrate program
- If you are upgrading from the DBLIB SQL Server client, make sure that you first create an ODBC data source in the Windows Control Panel. Make sure that you create a SYSTEM (not a USER) data source.
- Open a command prompt and type migrate. (If you didn't add the Databridge program directory to the system PATH during installation, type the full filename, including path, for migrate and enclose it in quotation marks.
The Migrate program creates a new global working directory for the Client and then a new working directory for each migrated data source. After updating the configuration file parameters and creating the service configuration file, the Migrate program moves user scripts and configuration files from the previous version to these directories. If you selected Enable File Security during installation, the Databridge Client's global working directory and all files and folders will be re-created and secured.
- Respond to the prompts:
- If you answer "yes" and provide the working directory, the Migrate program will find your data sources and migrate them. Skip the remaining steps.
- If you answer "no" or do not provide the path to the working directory. Complete the remaining steps.
- Enter the name of each data source and its working directory, using the path with drive letter or a directory and name relative to the current directory.
- Repeat step 4 for each data source. When you're done, enter an empty line (that is, <CR>).
The Migrate program creates a working directory for each data source. The existing configuration file is used to create a new binary configuration file in the config subdirectory. Deprecated parameters are removed or replaced by the equivalent parameters. User scripts are moved to the scripts subdirectory. The Migrate program then starts the dbfixup program, which upgrades the client control tables and populates the dbscripts directory for each data source.
If the read_null_records parameter is set to True, the Migrate program copies the Null Record files for the data sources to the config subdirectories. A new Client service configuration file is created (dbcontrol.cfg), which includes updated data sources and any existing scheduling parameters. The Migrate program runs a dbutility generate command for each data sources to populate the dbscripts directories.
Note: If you need to re-run the Migrate program for any reason, first delete the global working directory created by the Migrate program.