Run the Migrate Program on UNIX
Use this procedure to upgrade Databridge Client 6.1 and earlier on UNIX systems. If upgrading from 6.2.x, running migrate and dbfixup is not required. You can use your existing working directory and configuration files.
To run the Migrate program
- Install the Databridge Client 6.3. See Install the Databridge Client on UNIX.
- Make sure that the file globalprofile.ini includes values for INSTALLDIR, USERID, WORKINGDIR. If you want to enable file security for the working directory, make sure that the umask value is set. (For instructions, see Install the Databridge Client on UNIX). The Client runs under the specified USERID in the globalprofile.ini.
- Open a command session and type migrate. If the Client directory wasn't added to the PATH during installation, you must type the full path to migrate.
The Migrate program first creates a new global working directory and then creates a working directory for each migrated data source. Next, it moves the existing user scripts and configuration files to this directory after updating the configuration file parameters. It also creates the daemon configuration file which contains any scheduling information defined for the individual data sources.
- The program asks if you are upgrading from version 6.0 or 6.1 and use the daemon. If the answer is yes, enter the full filename of the global working directory. Make sure that you enter a different name for the 6.3 working directory. After a new working directory structure is created for the service, data sources from the earlier version will be migrated to subdirectories in this working directory. Skip the remaining steps.
- When prompted, enter the name of each data source. Next, enter the location of the working directory for this data source either as an absolute path or a name relative to the current directory.
The Migrate program creates a working directory for each data source. Existing settings are used to create a new binary configuration file in the config subdirectory and user scripts are moved to the scripts subdirectory. The Migrate program starts the dbfixup program, which upgrades the client control tables and populates the dbscripts directory for each data source. Lastly, the Migrate program applies file security to the working directory, data source directories, and all Client files.
If the read_null_records parameter is set to True, the Migrate program copies the Null Record files for the data sources to the config subdirectories. A new daemon configuration file is created (dbcontrol.cfg), which includes updated data sources and any existing scheduling parameters. The Migrate program runs a dbutility generate command for each data sources to populate the dbscripts directories.
- Repeat step 5 for each data source. When you're done, enter an empty line (that is, <CR>).
- To run the Client using the daemon, install the Client Console—preferably to a different machine than the relational database to avoid using valuable system resources.
You can run the command-line program (dbutility) or the daemon after you create a script for the daemon that includes the updated ORACLE_HOME, INSTALLDIR, and WORKING_DIR parameters.
Note: If you need to re-run the Migrate program at any point, first delete the working directory that was created by the Migrate program.