Prepare for a DMSII Reorganization
Use this procedure before you reorganize your DMSII database.
To prepare for a DMSII reorganization
- Run WFL/DATABRIDGE/BACKUPTAILORED to create copies of the DESCRIPTION file and DMSUPPORT library with the update level as the last node in the file titles. This ensures that DATABridge has access to the previous layout information (in the old DESCRIPTION file) to correctly process the audit trail files created before the reorganization. For instructions, see Save with Update Level (WFL).
- Make the necessary changes to the DASDL and then compile the new DASDL, using the method you normally use at your site.
When the DASDL is finished compiling, a message states that a database reorganization is required. For example, if the database is BANKDB and the update level is 51, the DASDL compile creates the file DESCRIPTION/BANKDB with update level 52. (The file DMSUPPORT/BANKDB with update level 52 is also created if the DASDL is set to compile DMSUPPORT automatically.)
- Compile DMSUPPORT if it was not set to compile automatically when you compiled the DASDL. The DMSUPPORT compile creates the file DMSUPPORT/BANKDB with the next update level (52 in our example).
- Run WFL/DATABRIDGE/BACKUPTAILORED to back up the new DESCRIPTION/BANKDB and DMSUPPORT/BANKDB files with the next update level in the filename.
- Generate the reorganization program using BuildReorg, choosing global control options (INQUIRYONLY, EXCLUSIVE, OFFLINE, and USEREORGDB), as needed.
Important! If you use USEREORGDB, be aware that RSNs in the records that USEREORGDB creates will change when the new records are merged into the live database. This creates problems in the client database when records get updated, if the RSNs are used as keys. Starting in DMSII 55.1 (MCP 14.0), the BuildReorg GENERATE statement lets you specify the option KEEPRSN, which prevents these RSNs from changing.
GENERATE EMPLOYEES KEEPRSN;
- Compile and run the DMSII reorganization program.
The reorganization closes the current audit file and opens a new one. Then, it copies the old DESCRIPTION and DMSUPPORT files before it installs the new DMSUPPORT library.
- If you have a tailored Support Library, update the GenFormat parameters and custom VIRTUAL and/or ALTER data set code, as needed.
- If you use DATABridge Span for replication, perform the procedure in Complete a DMSII Reorganization.
If you use the DATABridge Client, see Chapter 11, "DMSII Reorganizations and Rollbacks" in the DATABridge Client Administrator's Guide.