The following steps provide an example of the most common way to use DATABridge to access DMSII data.
- Run the to determine which DMSII data sets you want to clone or replicate with DATABridge.
- From the Lister report, make a list of the data sets you want to replicate.
- Edit the file for the record formats and filters that you want to use and compile the DATABridge Support library.
- Select the replication method (for example, using the DATABridge Span or Snapshot accessory).
- Run the accessory against the DMSII database. (Both accessories generate a default parameter file the first time you run them.)
- Edit the parameter file by selecting the data sets you want to replicate, the formatting and filtering routines to use, etc.
- Replicate the DMSII data by running DATABridge Span or Snapshot to write data files.
- Transport the data files for the replicated data sets to the secondary database system. This is site dependent. You might use a file transfer program, for example, or you might physically carry tapes to another location.
- Update the replicated DMSII data.
If you use DATABridge Span to replicate your DMSII database, update the secondary database by running the Span accessory to write data files that contain changes gathered from the audit trail. Then, use one of your user-written programs to read these data files and update the secondary database.
If you use DATABridge Snapshot to clone your DMSII database, update the secondary database in one of two ways:
- Run DATABridge Snapshot again. The entire collection of data sets is recloned and the old secondary database is reloaded by running one of your user-written programs with the new data files.
- Insert the Snapshot audit location into a DATABridge Span parameter file and then run DATABridge Span.
Note: DATABridge accessories do not permanently reside in the mix. Instead, initiate the accessory for the task you want to complete. DATABridge then initiates and subsequently terminates any other programs, libraries, or utilities needed to complete the task. As long as you installed DATABridge so it has visibility to your DMSUPPORT Library and DMSII DESCRIPTION and CONTROL files, you can run the DATABridge accessories whenever necessary.